The thyroid gland has a role in regulating metabolism or the way our cells utilize the energy from food we consume. This, in addition, affects the way our body burns calories, our body’s temperature, and heartbeat.
There are two main thyroid disorders types, hypothyroidism, and hyperthyroidism.
The first one is the condition of underproduction of the thyroid hormone, and the most widespread symptoms include dry skin, muscle cramps, weight gain, fatigue, hair loss, depression, forgetfulness, irregular periods, constipation, and feeling cold.
Weight gain is one of the first signs of this thyroid disorder. Consequently, we propose 6 ways to improve the health of your thyroid, prevent weight gain, and balance your meals:
- First of all, you must start consuming healthy and learn about the unpleasant effects of refined sugar.
- You must stay away from the consumption of simple carbs, and products like flavored juices, table sugar, soda, packaged cereals, Corn Syrup Sweetened Products, and White Flour Products.
- Substitute simple carbs with complex carbs, as the body doesn’t process them too rapidly, and they will keep you full for a longer period of time. These include oatmeal, whole wheat, brown rice, raw fruits or 100% natural fruit juices.
- Start using coconut oil, since it contains healthy fats, not like other vegetable oils. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil recover the function of your thyroid and recover the insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance. You can take it 20 minutes before meals to avoid fat accumulation and to speed up your metabolism, or you can use it in cooking.
- You must start exercising frequently in order to help your body burn fat and boost your metabolism. Try some medium intensity exercises, in order to encourage the hormone production rate of your thyroid gland, and avoid weight gain. These exercises include walking, aerobic, running, and other cardio exercises.
- Try consuming only healthy snacks, which can replace regular meals and keep you full for a while. They can, in addition, help you decrease the calorie intake.
These tips are particularly beneficial in the case of an underactive thyroid:
— Consume raw, unfiltered organic, and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar, which will assist weight loss, reduce appetite, and balance your hormones. Add one tablespoon of it to a glass of water and drink it every day.
— Eat more raw nuts since they are loaded with nutrients and healthy fats that boost up thyroid health. They are in addition high in selenium, which radically improves the thyroid function.
— Increase the consumption of foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as high-quality fish.